Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Wow! Some sanity, and out of my belived Barbary Coast!

I was greatly heartened, at last, to find someone else who has noticed the similarities between the anti-abortion movement and the animal rights movement. I've been saying for years that there is no difference between the two. They are both based on a kind of fanatical religious faith: they are spearheaded by organizations, PETA and Operation Rescue, which are wholly cut from the same cloth; both movements are made up of a bunch of radical idealists who want to cram their personal morality down everybody else's throats; both movements use similar tactics of intimidation and vandalism; both movements inspire and tacitly condone domestic terrorism; and, finaly, both movements favor their own doctrine over science, logic, or any form of evidence that might contradict their orthodoxy.

But here in New York I've often thought I was screaming at the wind. I don't fit in with the rest of the liberal academics on this issue, after all. So I was very please to see this letter from Incanto, the fine Italian restaurant in by beloved San Francisco (the place I feel most at home, in spite of the PETA presence). Read it, and read the Village Voice article it references as well. I admit I don't think much about Foie Gras. I've had it a few times, but it's not something I care about one way or another--except that I admit to a knee jerk reaction to support anything the PETA nazis are opposed to. So I found these two pieces of writing to be very informative. And, as I would expect, the truth knocks the legs out from under the PETA argument.

Read them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home