Sunday, August 17, 2008

I could medal in nerd

Those of you who know me know that this is one of my favorite times to be alive because two of my favorite media events are in full swing: the Summer Olympics and the presidential elections (it’s also Leap Year). I’ve been taking about the elections far too much lately. So…..

Readers of this blog know that I am a politics nerd, but even more than politics I am an Olympics fan. My sweetie and are both addicted. I have been watching as much as I can. I record Equestrain. Today, God help me, I watched some mixed doubles badminton, men’s team saber, team jumping, ping pong, field hockey, bicycle track racing, and hand ball. Right now rowing is on. Last night I got home in time to watch the 100 meter finals, and I’ve seen the 4x100 medley relay with Michael Phelps in replay about five times now (they keep showing it over and over). I also enjoy the big sports like track and field. Not so much gymnastics.

I love to watch the sports you don’t see often, like Archery or shooting.

I love the hype.

I hate the post event interviews.

I hate synchronized swimming. Sue me.

I prefer timed events to judged events. Judging (as anyone who watches skating knows) is way to subjective and political.

I love watching the USA men’s basketball team.

I've never seen Judo or Karate broadcast (though I have seen Tae Kwon Do).

My favorite event at one time was wrestling. I still love it.

My favorite event now? Modern Pentathlon: I love it. I have competed on some level in every discipline in Modern Pentathlon except for jumping. Since I was in high school I’ve wanted to compete in modern pentathlon. I’ll enter an event one day, just to say I have done so. I even know how it could be marketed: it is the action hero sport. You run, swim, shot, ride, and fence. It’s like you’re playing Zorro for medals.

And I am so pissed that NBC isn’t broadcasting it this year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home