Sunday, May 10, 2009

Who let the dogs out?

Apparently, there is a little war brewing in my backyard and I was unaware of it. According to the New York Post. A conflict, which as occasionally erupted into violence, is going on between bird watchers and dog owners in Prospect Park. It's a problem typical of New York, the most arrogant, entitled city in the world. Most of the people involved live in their own little isolated world and woe unto anything or anyone who should disturb it. I don't know the economic status of the people interviewed in the article, but I live around here and I can guarantee that most of them come from Park Slop, Fort Green, or Windsor Terrace, three of the wealthiest neighborhoods in Brooklyn. They are well off yuppies and old school New York complainers who feel that the world revolves around them and either their dogs or their boids. (Dirty... disgusting... filthy... lice-ridden boids. You used to be able to sit out on the stoop like a person. Not anymore! No, sir! Boids!). But as it is happening here (I live two blocks from Prospect Park: it really is my back yard) I suppose I should take notice.

I don't have any proposed solutions, because neither side would listen to reason anyway. This is New York. We have eight million people crammed together, each of us with our own opinions and none of us willing to give an inch. We are obstinate. It is in our nature. This is one of those wonderful New York stories, complete with snooty yuppies and a crazy Brooklynite stirring up trouble for everyone (Look at him: he is right out of Central Casting). So far the violence has been limited to pepper spray directed at dogs and a few threats, but make no mistake: more is on the way. Either somebody is going to sick their dog on a bird watcher, or some bird watcher is going to shoot a dog owner, and then this whole thing will end up on Law and Order (it probably is headed there already). All because, in the natural order of things, dogs chase birds.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Lori said...

"All because, in the natural order of things, dogs chase birds."

My most recently adopted shelter dog actually had gone to a home once and been brought back. Why? Because he chased birds (caught & ate one) and cats. And my response was the same: "Isn't that what dogs are supposed to do?"

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home