Tuesday, November 08, 2005

The New Kurt Cobain

I may have posted this before: or perhaps I only intended to.

I assigned my students to read NoBrow by John Seabrook, the best book I've found on postmodernism (even though he never mentions postmodernism). We were discussing the chapter titled "The Next Kurt Cobain," about a teenage boy who was so good at pretending to be a r ock star that he got a record contract, and I came up with an epiphany. I'd rather be the next Tom Jones then the next Kurt Cobain. Tom Jones is 65 years old. He's been married to the same woman for almost fifty years. He's one of the most successful and popular entertainers of all time. He's handsome, tallented, and rich. And Kurt Cobain is dead.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look at that, for once I am 100% in agreement with you!

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and don't forget all those frilly, scented panties that filled the air every time he sang on stage.

11:26 AM  
Blogger tracyg said...

Well how can you possibly choose dead over not dead?

It's really sort of an unarguable position.

11:29 AM  
Blogger NYC Real Estate Goddess said...

At least they're not calling him the next Axl Rose. What's worse than being revered & dead? Possibly being ridiculed & alive!!

5:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home