Friday, January 13, 2006

Vox Pop

This morning I became the sales manager for Vox Pop micro publishing, a print on demand publisher and leftist coffee shop in Brooklyn. This is a great place: the workers there are organized by the Wobblies (!). It may forever destroy my chances to one day win the Democratic nomination for president, but it is still pretty cool.

I took the job for a few reasons. The main one is money, of course. Adjuncting pays dirt. The bigger reasons, however, are because I am fascinated by print on demand as a movement, not just a technology, and I because I like the mission of the company. I may have moved to the right since I moved to New York, but I’m still a liberal at heart. Community activism, small neighborhood bookstores, and progressive politics are things that are worth supporting, especially when my own party feels a need to shift to the right to battle the enemy.

And, of course, as a media studies professor and scholar, this gives me a chance to put my money where my mouth is and actually do something instead of just writing and lecturing about it.

Vox Pop’s website is www.voxpopnet.net. Check it out.

It’s an adventure, and I’m looking forward to seeing where it takes me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home